Filed under Sports & Clubs

Boys’ volleyball wins first page against Duncan

Focusing+on+the+play%2C+Luca+Oberndorfer+center%2C+sets+the+ball+to+win+a+point+against+Jupiter+on+April+26.+He+celebrated+the+point+with+his+teammates+with+high+fives.+
Focusing on the play, Luca Oberndorfer center, sets the ball to win a point against Jupiter on April 26. He celebrated the point with his teammates with high fives.

Ashlie Cubas

Ashlie Cubas

Boy’s volleyball won their first game of the season against Duncan on April 28 in an away game.

“After we won the game against Duncan, I was surprised because they are a very well trained team,” Chris Bedecs, seventh grade setter said. “But our team played the best we ever have.”

At the start of the season the team lost their first three games, 2-0 against Independence, 2-1 against Watkins, and 2-0 against Jupiter.

“Every game has been very close and all have gone into overtime. Against Duncan we were able to make big plays at the end of games to win,” Coach Mathew Sallas said.

The team hoped to have a fresh start, with their brand-new team. They had set a goal to have a better record than last year.

“We have a good team and it is definitely possible to win games,” James Walter, seventh grade, middle defense said.

This group of athletes on the team had never played volleyball before, but were able to compete with the top teams in the county.

“The most important thing is to have a group of athletes who want to work and learn a new sport,” Sallas said. “They are doing a great job.”

Sallas started the season with teaching the basics of volleyball to the team. “The team started with passing and hitting,” Walter said.

“The team is still improving on learning how to play the game,” Sallas said. “So now we are working on our offense.”

Knowing how to play the game was important, but the team needed to be able to work together in order to be successful Bedecs said.

“The most important thing is communicating while on the court,” Bedecs said. “Each of us have to call for the ball, and always make sure someone has it.”

Not only were players learning how to improve on their skills by being on the team, but it also taught the players important lessons.

Bedecs said, “The team is teaching me how to work better with other people, and helps me to learn how to balance outside of school activities and homework.”

• Boys’ volleyball wins first page against Duncan

Communications majors explore various fields of art area

Annual communication showcase gives audience overview of department

Neil Gorsuch: new robed wonder

Author of Insignia visits Bak

• Editorial/Op-Ed

Communications displays its talent to others

First Lady Melania Trump and China’s first lady visits Bak MSOA

Girls soccer team wins county championship

SECME brings home awards from annual Olympiad competition

Student tour cultural, historic landmarks in China

Girls soccer team wins Northwest Division playoff game against long time rival Jupiter Middle