NJHS betters community one step at a time

As a club, National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) strives to better the community, but “feel that they could do more.”

“NJHS is about providing services to represent Bak and helping people in need,” Douglas Battle, eighth grade history teacher, said.

One of the goals of NJHS was to show students their role in society.

“NJHS helps students understand that Bak is a county school, and there are opportunities that are offered,” Jaimee Stamile, co-sponsor of NJHS said, “NJHS spotlights organizations that really help the community because it helps the students as well.”

One of the community outreaches was participating in the Race for the Cure, a fundraiser that helped fund cancer research.

“In the near future, we are going to be banding with the Curtain Calls Program to help with tutoring, and we will be collaborating with Habitat for Humanity to see if we can build homes,” Battle said.

Although Battle believed club members were doing well, he was hoping for more involvement.

“I want to see the members of NJHS put up more ideas, because it can make us a better club,” Lylybell Zhou, eighth grade keyboard major and president of NJHS, said.

Not only did they strive to help the community outside of Bak, but the community as well.

“During the holidays, we targeted students with parents that were in need, and we gave them gift cards to buy gifts and other things for the holidays,” Battle said.

NJHS was known as an elite group who expected “an accumulative three-point-nine grade point average” but Battle described it as “an honor.”

“Our members are expected to be models for the rest of the school so we hold them to high standards,” Stamile said. “They are responsible for increasing awareness in the public through volunteerism.”