Cheating proves to be a growing problem among students

Why does cheating get worse? Students copy homework from friends and ask for answers during a test. Over the years, technology has progressed and cheating through electronic devices has never been easier.

According to dictionary.com, cheating is to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers. Cheating causes students to lose integrity, moral behavior, and should never be encouraged. People cheat on tests because they did not study and the questions were hard, Sreenidhi Nidamanur, sixth grade communication major said.

Experts say that cheating has become easier and more widely tolerated, according to nytimes.com. As students get older, there is more pressure to get good grades. Tori Maxwell, sixth grade communication major, said that students cheat more because “they are afraid of disappointing their parents and teachers.” Even though many students may cheat, it is not right to ever assume that cheating is okay.

Cheating is a huge risk. Although many people may not get caught, if students are caught, they face serious consequences. Students may receive an F or an automatic zero. When students cheat, teachers usually stop trusting them, and it is hard to earn the trust back.

Cheating comes in many forms. According to pbskids.org, test copying is one of the most basic ways of cheating. It can be tempting to take a peek at someone else’s paper and write the answer down. Some students even try to swap answers by whispering, passing notes, or even texting each other.

Cheat sheets are another form of cheating. Any desperate student could jot down notes on their arm, shirt, or piece of paper. Students also use their cell phones to cheat, looking up answers or looking at their notes. Plagiarism is another form of serious cheating, taking someone else’s work and calling it your own. Lynn Vaughan, seventh grade math and algebra teacher, said that she saw more and more students comfortable copying homework, which is also cheating.

According to usnews.com, the majority of high school students surveyed in Los Angeles confessed to cheating on a test at least once. Ashley Kulberg, sixth grade communication major said that cheating was a “last resort” for most students. Students who cheat may not even recognize the risk and what they are doing.

Cheating can lead to many negative effects. For example, cheating can lead to more cheating, according to pbskids.org. All the concepts cheated on by a student will build up and the student will have to cheat again and again because he or she did not learn the basics. People who cheat are less prepared for the future, Abagail Sherry, sixth grade communication major said. Thomas Baxley, sixth grade theater major, said that cheating is “cheating yourself” and it does not help later on. Although cheating may help during one assignment or test, cheating will negatively affect the future.

Cheating is a choice, not a mistake. To avoid cheating, study for tests in advance and talk to parents about a tutor if one is needed. If more study time is needed, cut back on some after school activities for a while. And if someone tries to cheat during a test, cover the test paper so that no one can see any answers.

So, why does cheating get worse? Cheating is getting worse because of technology and the pressure to do better in school. Cheating is easy…being faithful is hard.