Teaching methods help students

Teaching methods help students

With her lesson in mind, the teacher reviewed her teaching methods, making note of the kids she must help with and those she must keep an eye on.

“My goal for students is to turn them into the biggest science nerds ever,” Tracy Smith, eighth grade science teacher, said.

In every classroom, each teacher had his or her own methods of teaching. They use their own specific lesson plans. But no matter what they used, their goal was to help their kids learn in the best affective way.

“I try to be relaxed and laid- back as I teach. I find that students learn more when they’re having fun,” Joe Balsamo, seventh grade language arts teacher, said.

Along with their ways of teaching, teachers also have ways to deal with troublemaking kids in class. For a class to run smoothly, the students had to cooperate.

“Students know that I’ll give

them the stink eye if they misbehave,” Smith said, “If that doesn’t work, I’ll fill out those CBIR forms and call parents.”

Motivating students was a critical part of establishing classroom routines, according to www.edutopia.com. In order for students to be on a schedule, they should be motivated to do so. If students thought there was no point in routines, they will not do it.

“I think by having a regular routine like taking notes or working on something independently, is a good way to control students. I think people in general are comfortable with routines since they’ll know what’ll happen. Uncertainty can cause stress,” Zane Hurley, sixth grade science teacher, said.

Studies showed that most children learned better when they were having fun or when they were in a playful environment. According to www.alternet.org, the pressure to be creative interferes with the outcome. If students did something for fun, they would excel more compared to if they were pressured.

Leanne Cornwell, sixth grade math and algebra teacher, said, “I’d recommend teachers to make sure to be themselves and make sure the   students   be themselves as well.

Along with teachers’ dedication to teach students, they also tried to notice when a student was struggling in their studies.

According to www.teaching.berkley.edu, a teacher could entertain her students in order for her to make sure everyone was engaged and help them if they are struggling.

Smith said, “I show students that science is fun by acting a little silly and telling stories about how science relates to everyday life.”