The votes are in: School elects new SGA committee

With the new school year starting, a new Student Government Association (SGA) committee has been elected. Voting took place Oct. 27.

Kevin Ray, newly elected SGA president said, “I want to be able to just get the kids ideas and what they want.”

With 19 total students competing for seats on the committee, only 14 won seats. The four presidential candidates were Luke Stone, Jaylen Sanders, Kevin Ray, and Camila Fred. Ray ended up winning the presidential seat.

“I was really excited, and just happy my hard work paid off,” Ray said.

Part of Ray’s goals are to “bring back snack shack” which he stated in his speech. He also wants what the kids want, and has the idea to make a suggestion box where students can provide their input.

“I want to make it a better school year, because the school year should be fun. People shouldn’t be dreading going to school,” Ray said.

Popularity and bias play a big role in determining who will be the next president, which some may see as unfair. Some see elections as popularity contests, while others believe there was much more to it then how well known the candidates were.

“Popularity can definitely have an effect on the election because you’re obviously going to vote for who you’re friends with, but it depends on your character and the type of person you are,” Eddie Diaz, seventh grade visual major said.

Becoming president was a big responsibility when it came to appealing to student’s suggestions and hopes, but all seats on the committee played a big role in decisions effecting the school.

“Everyone is elected for a reason, and without one position, SGA as a whole could not function successfully,” Nikita Tanguturi, SGA secretary said.

Students were hopeful the committee would make good changes to the school, and make school generally more enjoyable.

Diaz said, “Basically I look for a strong person to represent us and that can handle the hard decisions, someone that can give us what we want,”

With the new SGA committee elected, and students’ voices heard, now only time will tell if changes take place.