Safety showcased from new perspective: the reality of school security

The words school and safe should be synonymous.
The staff believes that Bak Middle School of the Arts has average school safety standards that are better than some schools, but worse than others, and have room for improvement.
Analysis of a database created by the Florida Department of Education that evaluated schools’ safety track records in 2014 showed that Bak had seven total school safety incidents, three of which were reported to the police, and one that involved a weapon.
In comparison to Day Star Academy of Excellence Charter School, Bak’s school statistics are mediocre. Day Star had four total incidents, none of which were reported to the police or involving weapons. Congress Community Middle School, also assessed, had 118 total incidents, 39 of which were reported to the police, and 16 of which involved a weapon, much worse than Bak.
All of these statistics support the editorial board’s stance, as they showcase Bak’s middle of the road safety standards.
Teachers and students alike are directly affected by school safety. According to a 2012 report from the National Center for Education Statistics, violence in schools can affect students’ overall health, well-being and educational outcomes. To guarantee the welfare of today and tomorrow’s students and teachers, as well as maintain and enrich school safety, it is vital that change takes place.
“I think that the most important thing about school safety for students is to always be prepared and know what to do,” Sally Rozanski, principal, said. “We prepare for the worst and hope for the best, so security wise I think we are in a good place right now.”
Palm Beach County School District created a “department of safe schools” that organizes events in to keep south Florida schools safe. Students and teachers should take advantage of this program by visiting their website, palmbeachschools.org/sis, and raising awareness for it. The staff also suggests more promotion of the bully box, in order to make students aware of its functions.
The words school and safe can be synonymous. It just takes effort.