Visual art students turn their fears into art

+%28Karen+Schiely%2FAkron+Beacon+Journal%2FMCT%29

MCT

(Karen Schiely/Akron Beacon Journal/MCT)

Imagine taking the deepest, darkest, most terrifying fear that ever existed and turning it into an art project. Visual arts students at Bak Middle School of the Arts had to do exactly that.

“I felt scared and proud at the same time [after creating the project]” Sydney Kashuba, visual arts student said. “I worked very hard on the project and it was the most time consuming project I have ever done. But after doing research regarding my project topic, I felt scared after finding out how many people get kidnapped every day,”

The Fear Book, full of detailed drawings, shocking facts, and amazing sculptures was a project that seventh grade visual arts students were required to do. The whole idea behind the fear book was for students to create a breathtaking yet unique 18 page display of their biggest fears.

“You need to think about how to make your book unique and creative, but at the same time related to the topic,” Arianna Norberto, visual arts student said.

Kashuba and Norberto, both students at Bak MSOA, each created their own fear book. Kashuba’s was based on her fear of being kidnapped while Norberto’s was based on her fear of falling from high places.

“I choose getting kidnapped as my fear because my second cousin was kidnapped and then murdered,” Kashuba said. “Even though I had never met her I was terrified,”

As for Norberto, her fear was inspired by a childhood family trip.

“One time my parents and I took a trip to the Hoover Dam when I was six. I felt extremely nauseous and terrified the whole time,” Norberto said. “I kept feeling like I was going to fall off and die,”

Aside from basic art supply necessities like paint, students needed to decide on what supplies and materials they wanted to use to create texture, depth and creativity in their pieces.

“I used newspapers that had stories about kidnappings on them to cover a scary kidnapping truck I made,” Kashuba said.

Despite the fact that Kashuba felt her project was extremely well done and could not wait to receive her final grade, Norberto felt differently.

“I felt I could have done better, [on the project]” Norberto said “The overall craftsmanship could have been improved,”

One must keep in mind that when creating a Fear Book, there are many difficult things to consider, rather than what color of paint to use.

“You need to consider if you can really turn one fear into an 18 page book,” Kashuba said. “You need to make sure it’s something you can do.”