Arts education just as important as academic subjects

Many states and districts were required to provide some sort of arts instruction, according to artsusa.org.  Some schools unfortunately do not offer a comprehensive arts program and students do not get the arts education they need along with the “core academic subjects.”

According to a PowerPoint by nasaa-arts.org, in the No Child Left Behind Act, known as the NCLB, the arts shared an equal billing with reading, math, science, and other disciplines as “core academic subjects,” which could contribute to improved student learning outcomes,”

In a 2002 report by Arts Education Partnership, students who received more arts education were more motivated, did better on standardized tests, and improved their social skills than students who had little or no access to the arts.  The PowerPoint said high school students that took arts classes had higher math and verbal SAT scores than students who took no arts classes.

In a national study using a federal database of more than 25 thousand middle and high school students, the University of California researchers found that kids with higher arts involvement watched fewer hours of television, reported less boredom in school and participated in more community service than students with lower arts involvement.

A new Harris poll revealed that 93 percent of Americans believed the arts were necessary in order to provide a well-rounded organization, according to artsusa.org.

Arts education played a very important role in students’ lives. Americans have supported having this in every school around the country based on the Harris poll, adding to the academic classes given to the students.  It has shown to increase standardized test scores, improved social skills and helped students be more aware and open to learning in school.