New assistant principal brings great advice, ideas

Photo by Bella Velez

With a bright smile, Ronda Johnson, assistant principal, sits in her new office. Johnson said, “[My favorite part about being an assistant principal is] I love being able to support both teacher and students in all that they do.” Johnson has received three different degrees, including Business Management and Education Leadership.

Students with last names starting with G – M received a new assistant principal. Ronda Johnson, who arrived at Bak mid-year, begins work again – this time as an assistant principal.

“Bak is my home. The opportunity to work as an artist in residence here 11 years ago, made me realize my passion for teaching. Being able to use my gift and talents to inspire my students has been rewarding. I have some of the fondest memories of former students and colleagues. It brings me so much joy to be able to work with them again,” Johnson said.

The Dreyfoos graduate received education from three colleges, including Palm Beach Atlantic University (PBA) and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre (AAADT).

“I attended AAADT in New York City,” Johnson said. “I then returned to Florida where I received my Bachelor’s degree in Business Management from PBA. I later received my Master’s in Education Leadership from Barry University.”

Following her first job, Johnson continued her career by returning to her alma mater.

“I worked as a teacher on special assignment at my former school, A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts for a little over a year. This is my first year as an assistant principal,” Johnson said.

Johnson was inspired to become a school administrator because of her passion for helping kids succeed.

“I have always enjoyed inspiring my students to be their best and supporting them in those pursuits,” Johnson said. “Throughout my teaching career I have always taken on leadership roles such as sponsor of clubs, leading committees, working with school administrators, supporting my teachers. I realized that I could lead and that I could be an agent of change that supports the arts, academics and the overall success of the school.”

Johnson advised students to “do their best, be kind and have fun,” while at school. She hoped to make an impact on the students that would last.

“I hope to support the teachers and students artistically and academically,” Johnson said. “I want to ensure that the students here are life-long learners and that they cherish their arts education as much I do regardless of where they go in life.”