Pennies for Patients makes a difference- one cent at a time

Ashley Kulberg

Katherine Johnson, sixth grade SGA senator, manages the table in the cafeteria where students can guess the amount of Hershey’s kisses in the jar. If a student guesses correctly, they will receive the entire jar of candies. All of the funds benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, according to pennies.org.

The girl strode confidently past her classmates, up to the front of her class. She knew she would help so many children with the contents of her pocket. With a small grin, she emptied it into the box: a single penny.

SGA participated in the Pennies for Patients fundraiser and it ran from Feb. 7-14.

“We ask that they please donate to help save lives,” Debra Fiore, social studies teacher, said.  “We have had students from Bak who have suffered from [Leukemia or Lymphoma].  We would love to see it erased from our world and with their help we can be the ones to do that.”

Students’ donations went towards Leukemia and Lymphoma research, which causes more deaths than any other cancer for children under the age of 20, according to pennies.org.

“At the beginning of the year, we looked for fundraisers that we really liked and could hopefully bring to Bak,” Alex Watson, SGA president, said. “We selected Pennies for Patients because it seemed like a fun opportunity.”

SGA also had a table at lunch where students paid 50 cents to guess how many Hershey’s hugs and kisses were in a jar.

“[If you’re thinking of donating] you definitely should,” Watson said. “It’s for a great cause, and you can get a lot of chocolate.”

Cameron Kahn won the chocolate, and the money was donated to cancer research.