Author of Insignia visits Bak

S.J.+Kincaid+reads+part+of+her+book+%E2%80%9CInsignia%E2%80%9D+to+sixth+grade+and+Battle+of+the+Books+students.+She+came+to+the+school+on+Tuesday%2C+April+25+and+gave+a+presentation+to+fifth+period+classes+in+the+main+stage.+

Photo by Tori Maxwell

S.J. Kincaid reads part of her book “Insignia” to sixth grade and Battle of the Books students. She came to the school on Tuesday, April 25 and gave a presentation to fifth period classes in the main stage.

On April 25, S.J. Kincaid, author of the book “Insignia,” visited Bak.

“I invited her because she wrote one of the Sunshine State Readers that Battle of the Books had read,” Jennifer Oliver Gardener said. “It was also a dystopia, which kids like to read.”

Kincaid gave a presentation at the main stage theater. It was held back to fifth period because of a flight delay. The presentation started with Oliver Gardener introducing her. The presentation continued with a book trailer of “Insignia”.

“The thing that inspired me to write ‘Insignia’ was after the Citizens United case when the Supreme Court ruled money free speech. I wondered what a world like that would be,” Kincaid said.

She also talked about the new book that she had published last November, “Diabolic,” and read an excerpt from it.

“My favorite part of the presentation was seeing the shock of students faces when she read the dark parts of the book,” Oliver Gardener said.

Kincaid also talked about some of the stories she had written as a child. One story was about a prince who raised a bear cub. Years later, his parents want to kill him, so they killed his bear. When the prince wakes up, he finds his bear dead next to his parents so he kills them.

“My favorite part of the presentation was listening to the stories she wrote as a child because they were interesting,” Devon Luxton, seventh grade visual arts major, said.

Kincaid also talked about the struggles of being a writer and trying to get a book published.

“When she talked about her failures, it shows students that they are not always going to succeed at what they want to do,” Oliver Gardener said.

At the end of the presentation, Kincaid answered questions from the audience and said to all the students to, “keep trying.”

“I loved how engaged the students were,” Kincaid said. “At some schools they are not involved in the presentation, but at this school the students were interactive.”