Filed under News

Teacher Appreciation Week gives opportunity for students to celebrate their teachers

In honor of teacher appreciation week, Angela Johnson gives a gift bag full of goodies to her first period civics teacher, Lisa Munns. National Teacher Day was celebrated across the country on Tuesday, May 8. “The best part [about Teacher Appreciation Week] is being recognized by the school, students, and all the local businesses,” Munns said.

Bella Velez

Bella Velez

Teacher Appreciation Week was the time of year where students and parents celebrated their teachers, counselors, and other educators. The week was celebrated May 8 through May 12.

“Teachers do a lot more than just teach. We act as mentors, counselors, and guides to our students,” Michelle DeSilva, sixth grade world history teacher, said. “We are not just a deliverer of information, but also a model for good citizens. That is why this week is important for us.”

According the National Education Association, the first National Teacher Day was March 7, 1980. However, the movement to declare a National Teacher Day began several decades before.

Around 1944, Arkansas teacher Mattye Whyte Woodridge, began corresponding with political and education leaders about the need for a national day to honor teachers. Woodridge wrote to Eleanor Roosevelt, who in 1953 persuaded the 81st Congress to proclaim a National Teacher Day.

“This week is special for teachers because we are just like students: when we are praised we work even harder,” Kyle Opera, sixth grade language arts teacher, said. “It is special to be recognized for all the hard work that we put in because unfortunately many people who aren’t involved in the world of education can take for granted all that is accomplished in a school year.  When students and families tell you they appreciate all the effort you put into your job, it makes you feel great!”

• Teacher Appreciation Week gives opportunity for students to celebrate their teachers

Communications majors explore various fields of art area

Annual communication showcase gives audience overview of department

Neil Gorsuch: new robed wonder

Author of Insignia visits Bak

• Editorial/Op-Ed

Communications displays its talent to others

First Lady Melania Trump and China’s first lady visits Bak MSOA

Girls soccer team wins county championship

SECME brings home awards from annual Olympiad competition

Student tour cultural, historic landmarks in China

Girls soccer team wins Northwest Division playoff game against long time rival Jupiter Middle