Filed under News

Bak teachers win prestigious award

After+receiving+their+awards%2C+Michelle+DeSilva%2C+Jamie+Stamile%2C+and+Shannon+Owens+pose+for+a+picture+along+with+other+teachers+from+Bak.+The+Dwyer+Award+is+a+prestigious+award+for+teachers+that+recognizes+their+excellence+in+education.+
After receiving their awards, Michelle DeSilva, Jamie Stamile, and Shannon Owens pose for a picture along with other teachers from Bak. The Dwyer Award is a prestigious award for teachers that recognizes their excellence in education.

Over the years, several Bak teachers have either been nominated or have won the prestigious Dwyer award.

“I won the George T. Elmore thirtieth Anniversary Dwyer Award for Professional Excellence in 2014 and was totally stunned,” Tracy Smith, eighth grade science teacher said.

According to educationfoundationpbc.org, there were about 200 nominees for and award, but only 30 finalists in 2017.

“I was really excited when Bak staff decided to nominate me for the career technology category,” Shannon Owens communications teacher said.

From Bak, there were three finalists for the thirty-third annual Dwyer awards. In the career technology category, Owens won an award. In the middle school education category, Michelle Desilva world history teacher was a finalist. Lastly, Jaimee Stamile special education teacher was a special program finalist.

“Traditionally, high school teachers are finalists for the career technology division,” Owens said, “So it was an honor to be recognized as a middle school and a T.V. teacher in this category.”

Getting nominated is just the beginning, according to educationfoundationpbc.org, after being nominated their applications were looked at. And they had face-to-face interviews.

“I was not expecting to win, because I knew my competition,” Smith said, “The other veteran teachers I was up against were wonderful and well respected in their fields.”

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

Communications majors explore various fields of art area

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

Annual communication showcase gives audience overview of department

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

Neil Gorsuch: new robed wonder

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

Author of Insignia visits Bak

• Editorial/Op-Ed

Communications displays its talent to others

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

First Lady Melania Trump and China’s first lady visits Bak MSOA

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

Girls soccer team wins county championship

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

SECME brings home awards from annual Olympiad competition

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

Student tour cultural, historic landmarks in China

• Bak teachers win prestigious award

Girls soccer team wins Northwest Division playoff game against long time rival Jupiter Middle

Bak teachers win prestigious award