Filed under News

Five new teachers join the Bak Family

New teacher Karen Anthony teaches her students about the Big Bang Theory. “I was inspired to become a teacher when I was involved in an afterschool science program in college,” Anthony said.

James Walter

James Walter

Every year, as teachers retired and moved to different jobs, gaps were left to be filled. These gaps were filled by new teachers. This year five new teachers joined the Bak faculty in a variety of positions, but all with the goal to inspire their students.

“I want my students to become inspired and dig deeper about how the world works around them and the impact they have on the environment, ecosystems, and themselves,” Karen Anthony, new seventh grade science teacher said.

One of the new teachers was Michelle May, a sixth grade math teacher. She wanted her students, “to love math,” and outside of school enjoys to boat, fish and swim. May also enjoyed the students at Bak.

“The students here are great because they try hard, are nice, and are polite,” May said.

Jorge Valls, a fourth year vocal teacher who graduated from Palm Beach Atlantic University joined the vocal team. He enjoyed traveling in his free time and photography. He also had some goals for this year.

“My goals are to challenge myself as a musician and to challenge these students to be the best they can be,” Valls said.

Another new teacher was Christine Amico. A seventh grade language arts teacher, she graduated from Ohio University and taught for 13 years. In her free time, she danced and choreographed musicals for a college in South New Jersey. She also enjoyed teaching at Bak.

“Bak is a well-oiled machine. It is a perfect combination of hard working administration, incredible knowledgeable and diligent teachers and motivated, determined, students,” Amico said.

The next new teacher was Brittany Anderson. She was a seventh grade science teacher who taught for eight years and graduated from Florida State University. She enjoyed to cook, shop, dine and was inspired to become a teacher by her love of science.

“I enjoy engaging young minds and making a difference in other people’s lives. I love science and I am skilled at making complex ideas seem so simple,” Anderson said.

Another new teacher was actually not new at Bak. Karen Anthony taught at Bak from 1999 to 2008, and substituted for five years prior to 2017, Anthony returned to teach her former position at Bak, a seventh grade science teacher. She used student’s creativity to help blend projects into the curriculum.

“I like the creative environment and the creative kids and incorporating that into class so the students can work on interesting projects,” Anthony said.

While all these teachers taught different subjects and had different hobbies, they all had one thing in common. Being nervous on the first day of school.

May said, “As I’m sure most teachers are on the first day of school, I was a little nervous, but mostly excited for the year to come.”

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Speech and Debate students compete at Nationals

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Editorial/Op-Ed

THINK before you speak

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Hurricane Irma leaves path of destruction

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Historic solar eclipse crosses nation

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Communications majors explore various fields of art area

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Annual communication showcase gives audience overview of department

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Neil Gorsuch: new robed wonder

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Author of Insignia visits Bak

• Editorial/Op-Ed

Communications displays its talent to others

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

First Lady Melania Trump and China’s first lady visits Bak MSOA

Five new teachers join the Bak Family