Filed under News

Five new teachers join the Bak Family

New teacher Karen Anthony teaches her students about the Big Bang Theory. “I was inspired to become a teacher when I was involved in an afterschool science program in college,” Anthony said.

James Walter

James Walter

Every year, as teachers retired and moved to different jobs, gaps were left to be filled. These gaps were filled by new teachers. This year five new teachers joined the Bak faculty in a variety of positions, but all with the goal to inspire their students.

“I want my students to become inspired and dig deeper about how the world works around them and the impact they have on the environment, ecosystems, and themselves,” Karen Anthony, new seventh grade science teacher said.

One of the new teachers was Michelle May, a sixth grade math teacher. She wanted her students, “to love math,” and outside of school enjoys to boat, fish and swim. May also enjoyed the students at Bak.

“The students here are great because they try hard, are nice, and are polite,” May said.

Jorge Valls, a fourth year vocal teacher who graduated from Palm Beach Atlantic University joined the vocal team. He enjoyed traveling in his free time and photography. He also had some goals for this year.

“My goals are to challenge myself as a musician and to challenge these students to be the best they can be,” Valls said.

Another new teacher was Christine Amico. A seventh grade language arts teacher, she graduated from Ohio University and taught for 13 years. In her free time, she danced and choreographed musicals for a college in South New Jersey. She also enjoyed teaching at Bak.

“Bak is a well-oiled machine. It is a perfect combination of hard working administration, incredible knowledgeable and diligent teachers and motivated, determined, students,” Amico said.

The next new teacher was Brittany Anderson. She was a seventh grade science teacher who taught for eight years and graduated from Florida State University. She enjoyed to cook, shop, dine and was inspired to become a teacher by her love of science.

“I enjoy engaging young minds and making a difference in other people’s lives. I love science and I am skilled at making complex ideas seem so simple,” Anderson said.

Another new teacher was actually not new at Bak. Karen Anthony taught at Bak from 1999 to 2008, and substituted for five years prior to 2017, Anthony returned to teach her former position at Bak, a seventh grade science teacher. She used student’s creativity to help blend projects into the curriculum.

“I like the creative environment and the creative kids and incorporating that into class so the students can work on interesting projects,” Anthony said.

While all these teachers taught different subjects and had different hobbies, they all had one thing in common. Being nervous on the first day of school.

May said, “As I’m sure most teachers are on the first day of school, I was a little nervous, but mostly excited for the year to come.”

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Sunfest brings people together during performances

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Bak student stars in new TV show

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Editorial/Op-Ed

Little acts have big impacts on environment

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Editorial/Op-Ed

If you see something, say something

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

SpaceX makes history in monumental launch

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Bak students take home half of math competition awards at county level

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

‘Stroke of Genius’ fundraiser event allows Bak MSOA students to showcase talents

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Students dive deeper into their learning with dissections

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Brightline launches its first trains, hopes to expand

• Five new teachers join the Bak Family

Eagles win first super bowl 41-33 after heart stopping finish

Five new teachers join the Bak Family