Filed under Showcase, Technology

Medical break through Argus II gives sight to blind

Robert Greenberg, chief executive of Second Sight Medical Products, discusses a chart that explains the workings of the Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System, in Sylmar, California. The device is made up of a chip in the eye and special set of glasses that translate visual information to the brain.

Ricardo DeAratanha

Ricardo DeAratanha

After the surgery, the man opened his eyes, able to see for the first time. The Argus II allowed him to gain his eye sight. The Argus II was a medical breakthrough for patients who are partially or completely blind.

According to secondsight.com, the Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System (Argus II) worked by sending electrical stimulations to the retina, which promoted vision in people who were diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa. According to blindness.org, retinitis pigmentosa was a disease which was inherited. It happened when the retina, a thin tissue lining at the back of the eye which perceived and interpreted light, wore down

The Argus II looked like a small, wireless device which was the size of an aspirin, which was held in place by a tack, the width of a human hair. According to zdnet.com, the patients wore glasses in order to view their surroundings.

In order to receive the surgery, the patient had to be 25 years or older and they had to have received no light or barely any light in both eyes.

Some issues that the Argus II faced was that the device was electronic, and it went into the eye, which has water in it. According to Dr. Robert Greenberg the device could not function inside the human body.

The patients could take the glasses on and off, however the actual device stayed in. The Argus II was put in by a doctor.

The Argus II was a medical advance, which helped patients with retinitis pigmentosa.

• Medical break through Argus II gives sight to blind

Former student turned Nascar driver visits Bak

Kindness Club benefits students as they learn to be nicer

Entertainment

‘Stranger Things’ reaches expectations in Season 2

Fall Thriller brings fears to life

23 band students earn spot in 2018 All State Band

Speech and Debate students compete at Nationals

Editorial/Op-Ed

THINK before you speak

Hurricane Irma leaves path of destruction

Historic solar eclipse crosses nation

Communications majors explore various fields of art area