Filed under Editorial/Op-Ed

Flu shots benefit students at school

Students and staff received free flu shots from the Palm Beach County Health Department on Oct. 25.

This decision helped many families whose children would not be able to get the shot otherwise.

A 2017 study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed that flu vaccination reduced the risk of flu associated deaths by nearly two-thirds (65 percent) among healthy children and up to 79 percent among adults. This means that an unvaccinated adult is up to five times more likely to die than a vaccinated adult.

The shot can also decrease the duration a person has the flu. Without the shot, students can be at home for up to two weeks as opposed to a few days with the shot. The flu shot also prevents the spreading of the flu to others through coughing. When more people are vaccinated, less flu can spread through their community.

It is easier for families to have their kids get flu shots at school because schools are conveniently located throughout the community, and most people trust school facilities.

Though some argue the flu shot is unnecessary, every year, millions of people get the flu, hundreds of thousands of people are hospitalized and tens of thousands of people die from flu-related causes.

Students should be educated about the effects of having the flu, and take the opportunity to get their flu shot at school.

Flu shots benefit students at school