Filed under Student Life

Bak students plays supporting role in feature film

Camila+Manrique%2C+eighth+grade+theater+major%2C+smiles+for+the+camera.+Manrique+has+never+been+in+a+feature+film%2C+however+she+was+a+main+character+in+a+music+video+by+a+popular+artist+in+Miami.+%E2%80%9CWhen+I+found+out+about+the+part%2C+I+was+really+happy+and+excited+because+it+was+my+first+film%2C%E2%80%9D+Manrique+said.+
Camila Manrique, eighth grade theater major, smiles for the camera. Manrique has never been in a feature film, however she was a main character in a music video by a popular artist in Miami. “When I found out about the part, I was really happy and excited because it was my first film,” Manrique said.

Sophia Roberts

Sophia Roberts

Local Bak theater major scored a role in a feature film, “Summer of my Discontent.”

“It was such a great experience,” Camila Manrique, eighth grade theater major, said. “We had to wait under a tent where the camera was before we came on. The cameras and the boom mics were so cool! When the director called ‘ACTION!’ the action began and it was amazing!”

Manrique filmed June 24, 29, and 30 in various parts of West Palm Beach and G-Star School of the Arts.

“The second to last day of filming, we shot at G-Star,” Manrique said. “We roamed around the hallways in between shots. We were there from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., so we didn’t even have time to eat lunch! We filmed in the hallways, classrooms, and the cafeteria. We played games while we waited for our turn.”

Manrique’s character, Andrea, was a girl who believed in true love, however, Manrique hinted at secret traits and mood changes.

“I can’t say too much about my character,” Manrique said, “it would give things away.”

Manrique used the site, “Backstage” for her audition.

“Backstage is a website where actors go to find auditions for musicals or movies or any other student films or cabarets. You first set up a profile with a picture and resume. Usually, you submit to auditions and wait to get a call or email,” Manrique said.

The cast bonded over inside jokes and chatted in between the scenes.

“While we were in the cafeteria, there was an empty seat next to one of the actors [Rachel]. Since nobody was sitting there, we pretended that a boy named Josh was supposed to be they’re filming with us,” Manrique said. “Every time we shot the cafeteria scene, we would always ask the director where Josh was, and he would look so confused.”

Manrique said that the film gave her a taste of Hollywood and something to put on her resume for the future.

“When I found out about the part, it was around March. I was happy and excited because it was my first film,” Manrique said. “It was so much fun and such a great experience.”

• Bak students plays supporting role in feature film

Former student turned Nascar driver visits Bak

Medical break through Argus II gives sight to blind

Kindness Club benefits students as they learn to be nicer

Entertainment

‘Stranger Things’ reaches expectations in Season 2

Fall Thriller brings fears to life

23 band students earn spot in 2018 All State Band

Speech and Debate students compete at Nationals

Editorial/Op-Ed

THINK before you speak

Hurricane Irma leaves path of destruction

Historic solar eclipse crosses nation