Filed under Student Life

Bak students plays supporting role in feature film

Camila+Manrique%2C+eighth+grade+theater+major%2C+smiles+for+the+camera.+Manrique+has+never+been+in+a+feature+film%2C+however+she+was+a+main+character+in+a+music+video+by+a+popular+artist+in+Miami.+%E2%80%9CWhen+I+found+out+about+the+part%2C+I+was+really+happy+and+excited+because+it+was+my+first+film%2C%E2%80%9D+Manrique+said.+
Camila Manrique, eighth grade theater major, smiles for the camera. Manrique has never been in a feature film, however she was a main character in a music video by a popular artist in Miami. “When I found out about the part, I was really happy and excited because it was my first film,” Manrique said.

Sophia Roberts

Sophia Roberts

Local Bak theater major scored a role in a feature film, “Summer of my Discontent.”

“It was such a great experience,” Camila Manrique, eighth grade theater major, said. “We had to wait under a tent where the camera was before we came on. The cameras and the boom mics were so cool! When the director called ‘ACTION!’ the action began and it was amazing!”

Manrique filmed June 24, 29, and 30 in various parts of West Palm Beach and G-Star School of the Arts.

“The second to last day of filming, we shot at G-Star,” Manrique said. “We roamed around the hallways in between shots. We were there from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., so we didn’t even have time to eat lunch! We filmed in the hallways, classrooms, and the cafeteria. We played games while we waited for our turn.”

Manrique’s character, Andrea, was a girl who believed in true love, however, Manrique hinted at secret traits and mood changes.

“I can’t say too much about my character,” Manrique said, “it would give things away.”

Manrique used the site, “Backstage” for her audition.

“Backstage is a website where actors go to find auditions for musicals or movies or any other student films or cabarets. You first set up a profile with a picture and resume. Usually, you submit to auditions and wait to get a call or email,” Manrique said.

The cast bonded over inside jokes and chatted in between the scenes.

“While we were in the cafeteria, there was an empty seat next to one of the actors [Rachel]. Since nobody was sitting there, we pretended that a boy named Josh was supposed to be they’re filming with us,” Manrique said. “Every time we shot the cafeteria scene, we would always ask the director where Josh was, and he would look so confused.”

Manrique said that the film gave her a taste of Hollywood and something to put on her resume for the future.

“When I found out about the part, it was around March. I was happy and excited because it was my first film,” Manrique said. “It was so much fun and such a great experience.”

• Bak students plays supporting role in feature film

Sunfest brings people together during performances

Bak student stars in new TV show

Editorial/Op-Ed

Little acts have big impacts on environment

Editorial/Op-Ed

If you see something, say something

SpaceX makes history in monumental launch

Bak students take home half of math competition awards at county level

‘Stroke of Genius’ fundraiser event allows Bak MSOA students to showcase talents

Students dive deeper into their learning with dissections

Brightline launches its first trains, hopes to expand

Eagles win first super bowl 41-33 after heart stopping finish