Marketing students go to Disney

The screams, the drops, the thrills, and the learning. Marketing students got to experience a future career opportunity at Hollywood Studios on Nov. 18, 2017.

“The Disney Youth Education program offers a Personal Branding workshop which I have taken communication students to in years past,” Shannon Owens, communications teacher said. “The workshop received positive reviews from students and staff, so I decided to take this year’s students.”

They started their day at 4:30 a.m. with a bus ride to Disney. The 50 students arrived at Hollywood Studios and got to enter the park early. While at Disney, the students attended a workshop with the Youth Education trainers there. They learned different branding strategies such as strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis, resumes/digital portfolios, and personal interviewing.

“I wanted to go on this trip because I wanted to learn about marketing and advertising,” Tyler Backus, eighth grade communications major, said.

After the workshop, the students were assigned to work on a branding group project while at the park.  When students returned from Disney, they presented their branding projects in marketing class.

“I had a good time learning new things and riding rides,” Zane Hurley, eighth grade communications major, said.

As the day wrapped up, the students got back on the bus after a full day learning experiences at the park.

“Students learned how Disney created and now maintains its successful brand and that the same strategies can be used for them to manage their brand, ranging from personal face-to-face to social media and online interactions,” Owens said.  “They learned life skills that will benefit them in any career path they choose.”

#