Filed under Arts & Academics

Students share talents at Winter Strings concert

Caught in the spirit of the holidays, students perform as Nancy Beebes, strings teacher, leads them. The Winter Concert featured the strings and band majors' work for the year.

Sandra Nemes

Sandra Nemes

Holiday cheer spread throughout the auditorium as students played carols and fake snow fell from the ceiling. It was the Winter Strings Concert and was held in high hopes for the students.

“My hopes for the concert was to do well, and there would be minimal mistakes. Most importantly, I hoped viewers went home with smiles on their faces,” Adam Wenta, eighth grade band major, said.

The event occurred on Dec. 15 in the Main Stage Theater. Students performed a variety of music, including the “Game of Thrones” theme song and the traditional holiday tune “Sleigh Ride.”

“We are having this concert to show how hard we have worked, and to show others what we have learned,” Alyssa Jackson, eighth grade strings major, said.

To prepare for the concert, students “practiced every day,” Reagan Freese, seventh grade band major, said. Students played in class and at home. They also listened to their music, and critiqued their technique.

“We had rehearsals and class,” Wenta said. “When I was at home I even listened to my songs and played more.”

The concert was organized and conducted by Nancy Beebe, director of strings. Beebe prepared by “rehearsing each piece a section at a time,” she said. She encouraged students to practice.

“Every concert is the product of approximately seven weeks of rehearsals,” Beebe said. “Like anything else, you have to start from the ground up, and through practice, focus, and effort, proceed towards improving your own part for your sections and entire ensemble to improve.”

The concert audience included students’ relatives, friends, and many teachers and staff members. The Winter Concert provided viewers with a new experience and a view of the students’ talents.

“A combination of strings and band majors’ parents, relatives, teachers, and siblings were at the concert. Students who also want to go to Bak in the future were there too,” Jackson said.

The Winter Concert featured both students’ talents and their love of music. Family and friends were able to learn what students had been working on all year.

“I think when I started playing strings the love of music has always been with me,” Gavin Frost, sixth grade strings major, said. “It is definitely now, and I am excited I got to share my talents.”

• Students share talents at Winter Strings concert

Star singer Juliana DeFeo aspires to be performer

Editorial/Op-Ed

Little acts have big impacts on environment

Editorial/Op-Ed

If you see something, say something

SpaceX makes history in monumental launch

Bak students take home half of math competition awards at county level

‘Stroke of Genius’ fundraiser event allows Bak MSOA students to showcase talents

Students dive deeper into their learning with dissections

Brightline launches its first trains, hopes to expand

Eagles win first super bowl 41-33 after heart stopping finish

Eighth grade quartet, piano majors performs at Kravis Center