Filed under Editorial/Op-Ed

Vaping is harmful for adolescents

Vaping appears to have replaced cigarettes as the primary nicotine delivery device for teens. At least 19 percent of high school seniors said that they vaped nicotine in the last year, along with 16 percent of sophomores and 8 percent of eighth-graders.

Diedra Laird/Charlotte Observer/TNS

Diedra Laird/Charlotte Observer/TNS

Vaping has become more common among middle schoolers than ever. However, many do not know the negative effects that it could have on the body.

Vaping was a slang term used for electronic cigarettes, also known as e-cigarettes. According to sciencenewsforstudents.org, e-cigarettes- were devices that allowed the user to inhale nicotine and other chemicals in the form of airborne particles. However, vaping liquid might not contain nicotine, though it could still have various health risks.

According to centeronaddiction.org, one study by the Food and Drug Administration showed that three-quarters of flavored e-cigarettes were associated with respiratory illnesses.  For example, one chemical found in the flavorings were diacetyl, which could cause a lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans, also known as popcorn lung. This could result in the permanent damage of the bronchioles caused by inflammation. Children were especially vulnerable to this disease.

Another negative effect of vaping was cancer. According to webmd.com, another hazardous chemical that may be used in vaping liquids was formaldehyde, an ingredient found is antifreeze which could cause cancer. This toxin was typically more common in high-wattage e-cigarettes.

Also, vaping could weaken immune cells, and raise the risk of infection and illnesses. This was apparent in cinnamon flavored vaping oils, which contain cinnamaldehyde. According to pbs.org, this also suppressed immune cell genes, meaning that the immune cells would not function as well.

Although some would argue that e-cigarettes were safer than traditional cigarettes, it did not mean that they were completely risk free. They were still unhealthy and could endanger the body. It could be especially detrimental for someone in middle school or high school. Trying e-cigarettes was not worth jeopardizing one’s health.

To help discourage the use of e-cigarettes among middle schoolers, tell friends that vape to stop and that it is harmful to their body. Also, make sure to set a positive example for others by not vaping and saying no to e-cigarettes.

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

Fletch’s fall festival brings clubs together

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

New year, new staff: Bak welcomes many new staff members

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

Speech and debate team recognized for national award

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

General Elections

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

Sixth to eighth grade transfer

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

New technology allows people to spend their vacation in orbit

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

Communications majors explore various fields of art area

• Editorial/Op-Ed

Communications displays its talent to others

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

First Lady Melania Trump and China’s first lady visits Bak MSOA

• Vaping is harmful for adolescents

Girls soccer team wins county championship

Vaping is harmful for adolescents