Filed under News

Teacher takes students on cultural trip to Peru’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nestled in the Andes Mountains, Machu Picchu, meaning “old mountain”, is one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World. The Incan citadel rested high above the Urubamba River valley in Peru and remained almost undisturbed for 500 years. “In the variety of its charms and the power of its spell, I know of no other place in the weld which can compare with Machu Picchu, the crown of Inca Land,” Hiram Bingham, discoverer of Machu Picchu, said.

Bella Velez

Bella Velez

Bella Velez

Over spring break, a group of Bak students and a middle school from New York took a trip to Peru, in South America. The trip spanned across three cities, including Lima and Cuzco.

Anne-Marie Bouchard, the French teacher at Bak, led the trip and it included many experiences.

The trip included climbing to the top of Machu Picchu, experiencing the culture at local restaurants, and learning about the history of ancient civilizations such as the Incans.

“It was something special,” Bouchard said.

The main highlight of the trip was hiking into the Andes Mountains to visit Machu Picchu. The UNESCO World Heritage site was the long-abandoned city of the Incas.

Another big experience was the food. Group members tried all new foods, including visiting a local restaurant famous for its seafood. Lunch was served family style where travelers were able to taste the flavors of Peru.

The trip lasted six days. Bouchard had hoped to bring about a new experience for all those who traveled with her.

“When I chose the trip, I looked for another cultural shock,” Bouchard said. “I looked for something different, a place where everyone could learn.”

• Teacher takes students on cultural trip to Peru’

Bak Photo Gallery

Best peppermint-flavored foods for all holiday snackers

Entertainment

Starbucks has many interesting secret drinks

Fletch’s fall festival brings clubs together

Advanced radio teaches students diverse skills

New year, new staff: Bak welcomes many new staff members

Speech and debate team recognized for national award

General Elections

Sixth to eighth grade transfer

New technology allows people to spend their vacation in orbit

Students lose sleep because of constant technology use