Filed under News

People around globe ‘March for Our Lives’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students hold signs expressing their anger against the government and the National Rifle association (NRA). “I was talking to this lady and she told me her niece had been in the school [Marjory Stoneman Douglas] and was so scared,” Melodie Barrau, eighth grade communications major, said. “That was something that touched me the most because I could literally see someone personally affected.”

Photo courtesy of Allison Robbert

Photo courtesy of Allison Robbert

Photo courtesy of Allison Robbert

“March for Our Lives” was a nationwide event with thousands of participants. The purpose was to end gun violence and advocate for stricter gun laws. The event took place on March 24, 2018.

“My favorite part of this whole thing was seeing how proud people were to be there, and you could tell it really meant a lot to them,” Erin Pino-Schwarz, eighth grade dance major, said. “It was empowering to see so many people in Parkland, Washington D.C., and all over the world coming together for the same purpose.”

“My favorite part was when the mayor gave a speech,” Melodie Barrau, eighth grade communications major, said. “It was about how everyone has to take part in their own communities and how, because of the marches across the United States, this will be [a] shooting that alters history. I thought that was so empowering and really spoke to the central message of a lot of marches.”

Two major marches took place in Washington D.C. and Parkland, Florida.

“I marched in Parkland,” Becca Fineberg, eighth grade dance major, said. “There were about 25,000 people there.”

The Parkland march started in Pine Trails Park and participants walked to Parkland with posters, chanting along the way.

“The first two hours was a program in which students, alumni, teachers and parents spoke about what needs to be done,” Fineberg said. “Then we marched to Stoneman Douglas and chanted along the way, and then marched back to Pine Trails.”

The march encouraged thousands of students, staff, and anti-gun advocates to fight for stricter gun laws and march for their lives.

“If millions of people are demanding change, then legislators need to listen,” Pino-Schwarz said. “At the end of the day this isn’t about Democrat or Republican; it’s about life and death.”

• People around globe ‘March for Our Lives’

Entertainment

DIY Paper Garland Spring Edition

Entertainment

Gelato Grotto provides a variety of flavors to get you through the spring season.

Bak Photo Gallery

PHOTOS: Bak’s Green Team reinvigorates beautification efforts

Bak Photo Gallery

Best peppermint-flavored foods for all holiday snackers

Entertainment

Starbucks has many interesting secret drinks

Fletch’s fall festival brings clubs together

Advanced radio teaches students diverse skills

New year, new staff: Bak welcomes many new staff members

Speech and debate team recognized for national award

General Elections