Filed under Features

Worldwide tradition has long background

This year on March 11 Floridians moved their clocks one hour ahead. The sun would set and rise later every day till Nov 4. This is all credited to one long-held worldwide tradition-Daylight Saving Time.

According to webexhibits.org, Daylight Saving Time is also referred to as “Summer Time” in other places in the world in cities such as Paris, Prague, Madrid, Brussels, Bratislava, and Warsaw. It was first originally implemented to make better use of daylight. Additionally, studies have also shown it saves energy.

According to livescience.com, the idea of resetting clocks forward an hour in the spring and back an hour in the fall was conceived by Benjamin Franklin in an essay in which he titled  “An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light,” in the Journal De Paris in 1784.

Additionally, the site mentions how Franklin’s idea went ignored. Later on in 1907, an Englishman named William Willet brought up the idea again in his pamphlet titled “The Waste of Daylight” to the British House of Commons, but the idea was rejected. Yet in 1916, the idea of “British Summer Time” was introduced by the Parliament. According to wikipedia.com, the German Empire and Austria-Hungary organized the first nationwide implementation.

Despite many other countries adjusting their clocks, America did not begin practicing Daylight Saving Time until after World War 1 in March 19, 1918 in an attempt to save energy.

Florida Governor Rick Scott has signed for Florida to have Daylight Saving time all year round. Now, despite the rejection of the concept long before it started, Daylight Saving Time is practiced around the world.

Worldwide tradition has long background