Filed under Arts & Academics

Us & Them provides students with opportunity to work together

Back to Article
Back to Article

¬¬Trying to peek over the wall, the ensemble carries Chloe Starling, seventh grade theater major. The production “Us & Them” featured a group of clowns that tried to find a suitable home.

Kate Wagner

Kate Wagner

Kate Wagner

Audience members were filled with anticipation as the stage was set and the outgoing characters that performed the story of “Us & Them” took their places.

“This is about wanderers looking for a home and they discover a place, but they realize that they are two groups that both want the land, so this is where the story starts,” Sandra Tepper, theater teacher, said.

The production was set in the jungle, where a group of clowns found an area that they wanted, but because there were two separate groups, they had to divide the land. They built a wall which separated the groups, but caused even more tension between them.

“They had to build a wall because they were suspicious and curious, and both eventually peek over the wall to see that the other group is actually doing the same exact thing as them,” Tepper said.

After finding that both groups were trying to spy on one another, they became mad and started a fight that drove both of the groups out of the area. The added effect to the fight was that it was in slow motion, which had made it even funnier for the audience.

“The fight scene had to be my favorite part of the whole production because we got to do it in slow motion and it is something that was so fun to decide how our characters would fight each other,” Devyn Humble, seventh grade theater major, said.

A total of 18 girls worked on “Us & Them” for a seventh grade showcase. They worked for a total of six to seven weeks before performing on March 8, 2018.

“The process we went through was long and tiring, like rehearsing and memorizing. But there were so many fun aspects to it and the overall outcome was definitely worth it,” Morgan Schneider, seventh grade theater major, said.

“Us & Them” was an ensemble piece, meaning that it was a whole group of people, and no characters were more important than any others. The play did not rely on one character, as it relied on the whole cast, Schneider said.

“A good ensemble works together and builds collaborative skills to build a play together, which is what was focused on in class before the performance. I think the ensemble did a wonderful job executing that,” Tepper said.

Students got to improve their skills through working with ensemble, unique character building, and storytelling.

“It is important we use real art to reflect on our lives,” Tepper said. “Especially with the current events going on right now, we should use a play like this to teach us and give us a chance to laugh.”

• Us & Them provides students with opportunity to work together

Entertainment

Gelato Grotto provides a variety of flavors to get you through the spring season.

Bak Photo Gallery

PHOTOS: Bak’s Green Team reinvigorates beautification efforts

Bak Photo Gallery

Best peppermint-flavored foods for all holiday snackers

Entertainment

Starbucks has many interesting secret drinks

Fletch’s fall festival brings clubs together

Advanced radio teaches students diverse skills

New year, new staff: Bak welcomes many new staff members

Speech and debate team recognized for national award

General Elections

Sixth to eighth grade transfer