Filed under Technology

Nintendo invent new interactive device

Make, play, discover. The Nintendo Labo kits were designed to help kid build things that can interact with their Nintendo Switch in a variety of different games and activities.

According to labo.nintendo.com, Nintendo Labo combines the magic of the Nintendo Switch system with the fun of do it yourself (DIY) creations. Each one of the kits come as a sheet of cardboard that anyone can cut and assemble into different creations.

The cardboard creations are called Toy-Con, a play on the Switch’s Joy-Con controllers. The kids can simply just insert the Joy-Con controllers of the Switch to interact with different games.

According to popularscience.com, there are two different options when purchasing the Labo. There is a $70 variety kit that includes five Toy-Cons: a pair of RC cars, a fishing rod, a house, a motorbike, and a 13 key Piano.

The other option is an $80 Robot Kit which is more complex than the other Toy-Cons. The kit concludes with a single interactive robot suit that can be incorporated with the Nintendo Switch, which is sold separately for $300.

According to theverge.com, Labo is unlike anything they have done before said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aimé.

By introducing the Labo kits, Nintendo hopes that mixing physical products with tech could be appealing at a time when “screen time” is in the spotlight.

The directions to assemble each one of the kits is shown on the display of the Switch. They are shown as 3D models that kids are able to rotate and zoom in to so they can get a better understanding of the assembling process.

However, the kits are only available for pre-order right now. They will be launching the product in the United States on April 20. Nintendo hopes to continue the momentum of the Switch in a fun, interactive way with Labo.

Nintendo invent new interactive device