Filed under Sports & Clubs

Butterfly Garden helps beautify school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Butterfly Garden helps beautify school

The Green Team and Student Government Association have plans to rebuild the Butterfly Garden, and will keep a plaque commemorating Paula Hough, who originally organized it in 2008. Lee Glaze, magnet coordinator, said, “Due to all the hurricanes that we had recently, a lot of the trees have been damaged and dried up so we eventually want to start by building up and keeping the memory of Mrs. Hough.”

Ava Wherley

Ava Wherley

Ava Wherley

Bak’s Green Team and Student Government Association’s (SGA) butterfly garden project would add greenery to the school and teach students about nature.

“The Butterfly Garden is a way to involve students in a civic project to give back to the school, but also a way to involve them in the beautification of our school,” Sharon Campbell, SGA co-sponsor said.

Each club would both contribute to the project differently, whether it was landscaping or helping to plan the garden.

“[The Green Team is] doing research to know what plants to get and see which butterflies are native to Florida. SGA is going to get benches to donate,” Tammy Bejarano, Green Team leader said.

Retired science teacher Paula Hough and her students originally organized it in 2008 and included a gazebo. Unfortunately it was being rebuilt due to hurricane and termite damage.

“[Hough] put a lot of effort in getting that Butterfly Garden here, and we just like to keep that going in memory of Mrs. Hough and to celebrate Arbor Day,” Lee Glaze, magnet coordinator said.

Students would participate in the project through donating plants and helping to build the garden.

“Any student that helps is going to be a huge impact because they are going to have the hands-on experience of building it and showing what they did,” Bejarano said. “Students that did not will get to see the Butterfly Garden, the plants, and butterflies realize they have a home now here at Bak.”

• Butterfly Garden helps beautify school

Bak Photo Gallery

Best peppermint-flavored foods for all holiday snackers

Entertainment

Starbucks has many interesting secret drinks

Fletch’s fall festival brings clubs together

Advanced radio teaches students diverse skills

New year, new staff: Bak welcomes many new staff members

Speech and debate team recognized for national award

General Elections

Sixth to eighth grade transfer

New technology allows people to spend their vacation in orbit

Students lose sleep because of constant technology use

Butterfly Garden helps beautify school