Students compete at academic games state tournament

Bak students representing Palm Beach County competed at the State Academic Games on March 3.

“State Academic Games was a fun event where I could hang out with my friends while also experiencing the thrill of competition,” Ashesh Amatya, eighth grade piano major, said.

The tournament consisted of three events: Equations (math event), LinguiSHTIK (Language Arts event), and Social Studies. Students could only compete in one of them. Jay Kantamneni, seventh grade communications major, said that he participated in Social Studies because he had a “good memory,” and the event required a rote memorization of facts such as current events and presidents.

“I joined because it is an experience that combines social activities with academics,” Kantamneni said.

Bak students placed in this tournament, with in Social Studies Kantamneni getting first and Deven Seedial second place. In LinguiSHTIK, Katherine McCabe placed second place.

The competition was an all-day event on Saturday that was split up into three divisions: elementary, middle, and high school. Bak students had to place top 15 in one of the three county seasons in order to qualify for the state tournament. Three counties participated: Martin, Indian River, and Palm Beach County.

“Because the tournament consisted of the best students from each county, it was a challenging competition to do,” Amatya said.

To prepare for the tournament, students memorized tricks and facts from websites and materials that their coach gave them. Although it was a tedious process, many students felt that it was worth it.

Rohith Karthik, seventh grade communications major, said “The tournament was a fun place to compete, and all of our hard work came together at the end.”