Filed under Editorial/Op-Ed

If you see something, say something

Following the Marjory Stonemann Douglas shooting, many threats have arose in schools around the country. Now, students need to follow the motto of Homeland Security: “If You See Something, Say Something.”

The staff wants students to speak up if they see something troubling and unusual. Students can help Bak be safe by reporting suspicious activity such as bullying and threats.

According to the Palm Beach Post, a William T. Dwyer student was tipped as a threat after he posed with a gun on school property and threatened to shoot up the school on social media. These kind of actions should not be tolerated, and if students see this they need to report it.

According to the Washington Post, a school shooting plot was thwarted in Los Angeles after a school resource officer heard something the students said. The opposition may say that these kind of things can just be a joke, but when the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooter, Nikolas Cruz, posted on social media threatening behavior and wrote a comment on YouTube saying “I’m going to be a professional shooter,” it is no longer a thing to joke about.

Not only is it important to report threats to the school, but also bullying. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, 22 percent of students report being bullied during the school year.

When almost one out of four students are being bullied, it is extremely important to speak out and report what is happening, instead of just being a bystander. A student who is bullied has serious consequences, some leading towards mental health issues. According to a Yale University study, bully victims are two to nine times more likely to report suicidal thoughts.

All students are affected because each person could be harmed if it is not reported. It is important that students need to say something if they see something such as a potential threat to the school or bullying of another student. There are several ways that students can speak up.

One way that students can speak up is to use the anonymous reporting system that has been put into place by Palm Beach County. Another solution is to speak to an administrator or teacher about any concerns of a potentially dangerous situation that is going on in school. But being silent will not help anything. By using these options, students can help ensure that Bak keeps its nurturing and safe environment.

• If you see something, say something

New year, new staff: Bak welcomes many new staff members

• If you see something, say something

Speech and debate team recognized for national award

• If you see something, say something

General Elections

• If you see something, say something

Sixth to eighth grade transfer

• If you see something, say something

New technology allows people to spend their vacation in orbit

• If you see something, say something

Communications majors explore various fields of art area

• Editorial/Op-Ed

Communications displays its talent to others

• If you see something, say something

First Lady Melania Trump and China’s first lady visits Bak MSOA

• If you see something, say something

Girls soccer team wins county championship

• If you see something, say something

SECME brings home awards from annual Olympiad competition

If you see something, say something