Filed under Technology

Major tech companies sign Geneva Accord

Many companies, including Microsoft and Facebook, signed an agreement to not help any government launch cyber-attacks against people.

Originating from the Geneva Convention that set rules for war in the real world, the Digital Geneva Accord was announced by 34 tech firms on Tuesday, April 23.

However, not on the list of big companies who have pledged to the statement, are enterprises like Google, Amazon, and Apple, according to New York Times.

Also in the accords is an agreement to collaborate on stronger defense systems and protect against the tampering of many of the companies’ products, according to money.cnn.com.

This agreement between companies is mainly targeted against cyberattacks in the past year blamed on notable countries such as Russia, North Korea, Iran, and also China.

“The devastating attacks from the past year demonstrate that cybersecurity is not just about what any single company can do but also about what we can all do together,” Microsoft President Brad Smith according to associationsnow.com. “This tech sector accord will help us take a principled path towards more effective steps to work together and defend customers around the world.”

Smith has been trying to get this point across with this new accord for the past several years. The company, Microsoft, helped a lot in fending off the WannaCry ransomware attack. It targeted computers running the company’s Windows operating system.

According to money.cnn.com, Github’s chief strategy officer Julio Avalos said, “Reaching industry-wide agreement on security principles and collaborating with global technology companies is a crucial step toward securing our future.”

Major tech companies sign Geneva Accord