Filed under Sports & Clubs

NJHS members participate in gleaning to help community

Back to Article
Back to Article

From cucumbers to red potatoes, gleaning is a service program where volunteers collect fruits and vegetables for the needy of South Florida. According to crosministries.org, the Department of Children and Families estimated that 54 million pounds of produce went to waste every year. Through gleaning, volunteers helped reduce that number and gave back to the community.

Isabella Velez

Isabella Velez

Isabella Velez

National Junior Honor Society, (NJHS), participated in its last event of the year. The organization chose to volunteer in gleaning through Christians Reaching Out to Society (CROS) Ministries.

“I think it’s important to participate in the gleaning because it gives people an insight on agriculture and field work,” Alexander Jones, eighth grade communications major, said. “This event helped the community because it helped harvest food for more people and prevented it from being wasted.”

In gleaning, volunteers gathered vegetables from fields donated to CROS Ministries. On May 5, NJHS members picked cucumbers.­­­­­

­­­“It helped the community by us picking the vegetables, and then they were transported to a processing plant, which later went to a food bank where people can go and receive the food,” Kaytlin Sanchez, eighth grade vocal major, said.

Along with gathering food for a food bank, students were also able to learn more about the process their food goes through and appreciate the hard work workers go through every day.
“It let me see what people in this work field have to go through on a daily basis,” Sanchez said. “I developed a greater appreciation for how we get our food.”

According to crosministries.org, [gleaning] allows harvested produce to be distributed free of charge through the Palm Beach County Food Bank to their food partners. This impacts people across the county, even students here at Bak.­­

Sanchez said, “It’s very beneficial for people who are less fortunate and a great way for people to come out and help their community.”

• Entertainment

Starbucks has many interesting secret drinks

• NJHS members participate in gleaning to help community

Fletch’s fall festival brings clubs together

New year, new staff: Bak welcomes many new staff members

Speech and debate team recognized for national award

General Elections

Sixth to eighth grade transfer

New technology allows people to spend their vacation in orbit

Communications majors explore various fields of art area

• Editorial/Op-Ed

Communications displays its talent to others

First Lady Melania Trump and China’s first lady visits Bak MSOA