Fletch’s fall festival brings clubs together

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students from Builders Club and National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) came together to volunteer at Fletch’s Fall Festival. It took place on Oct. 20, 2018 at Loggerhead Marinelife Center. This event gave students a chance to help in the community and spend time with children.

“Our students enjoy working at Loggerhead because they get to spend time with kids, and they help the environment. The kids at the event look up to our student volunteers.” Bonnie McCarthy, seventh grade civics teacher and sponsor of NJHS, said.

Students were assigned to different stations. Some of them were for fun, and others were educational, but they all had to do with the environment. Loggerhead had stations that taught kids about conservation and the ocean.

“My station was face painting. I got to see kids of every age. I would paint designs on their hand or face that had to do with the ocean, it was really fun,” Raveena Cherry, seventh grade strings major, said.

When NJHS teamed up with the Builders Club, they “embraced their similarities” Cherry said. While the students were volunteering, they not only assisted their community, they also had a great time meeting others.

McCarthy said, “NJHS students are only eighth graders, while Builders Club students are from all grades.  Bringing these two clubs together allowed us to do more good in our community.”