New bathroom pass procedures are put in place

As of Jan. 31, the age of personal handheld bathroom passes was over, replaced by a school-wide digital program.

These digital passes required a Google form which tracked the user and added a level of security to the past bathroom pass system designed by each teacher.

“It has more accountability, so a student who might be thinking about going to the bathroom to meet up with a friend or engage in illegal activity might think twice before doing it,” Rhonda Steinmetz, eighth grade science teacher said.

In order to create a safer environment for students and staff, Assistant Principal Misty Connelly was a strong advocate for the new pass system.

“The electronic restroom passes were put in place for everyone’s ease of use, tracking, and to discourage any disruption to school,” Connelly said.

There had been reports of many students in the bathroom at one time as well as damage to several restrooms. These factors were part of what caused the push for this change.

“There is not a current problem [with the devious lick trend], but I do believe the passes are a deterrent,” Connelly said. 

Once the new system was implemented, there were changes that had to be made within the classroom.

“I send several students [to the bathroom] at the same time, so someone will have to wait a little longer now,” Steinmetz said. “There are no changes that aren’t manageable.”

Even with the way students were sent out of class changed indefinitely, the students and staff had been helpful and responsive to the new system.

“The staff have been extremely flexible and given great feedback and suggestions to help make this a successful single school culture,” Connelly said. 

To provide the tracking, there were several steps added to the hall pass process. Students joined a grade level Google Classroom that contained the form to fill out each time they left class. 

“Students must use the bathroom in the same building and floor as their class. For example, a seventh grade student in a class located in the upstairs eighth grade building cannot use the seventh grade restroom,” Connelly said.

The new system was implemented in order to keep the school a safe and healthy learning environment.

“My hope is that students appreciate that this is our school, their chosen place where they are celebrated for their individualities and talent,” Connelly said. “Let’s keep our place, a place to be proud of, a place where we have clean working bathrooms, a place where artwork adorns our walls, where music echoes in the halls, the powerful voices and graceful movements of the students are our focus.”