Life skill education benefits students

Students currently have limited access to life-skills education in middle school. This issue creates challenges for students presented with real-world problems.

In the opinion of the Portfolio staff, middle school students should have more access to life skills lessons.

Classes on economics and money management are not offered in middle school as an elective or in the mathematics curriculum. These classes can help students when seeking a job and dealing with money.

According to research by the American Academy of CPR and First Aid, first aid training can save a life. It mentions that education on first aid training can protect students from infections and injuries.

Not all parents or guardians are able to dedicate time to teach children fundamental skills such as how to put on a tie or basic cooking skills. Some students’ parents are at work until late at night, so they need cooking skills to feed themselves.

Cooking skills are essential to meeting basic needs. Middle school students benefit from knowing how to cook by being able to feed themselves when necessary.

Even though some of these classes are taught in high school, middle school students should have access to these lessons as well. They are not too young to receive education on these skills. Students in the communications major learn how to interview, but students in other majors do not get this opportunity.

Eighth grade students apply for high schools and jobs that require an interview. Although interview training was offered to students in high school, this is vital to some middle school students.

There should be a life-skills elective for students. Middle school students can get a jump start on these important life skills. If an elective is not an option, these lessons can be incorporated into critical thinking classes.

Alternatively, a life skills club is another option. Although life skill classes are not mandatory for all students, middle school students should be given access to them.