Junior Thespians Society competes with different schools

Jr.+ITS+students+attends+%E2%80%9CPercy+Jackson+and+the+Lightning+Thief%E2%80%99%E2%80%99%2C+performed+by+a+middle+school+theater+group.+%E2%80%9CI+didn%E2%80%99t+think+I+was+going+to+like+the+plot+because+I%E2%80%99m+not+a+Percy+Jackson+fan%2C+but+the+cast+was+talented%2C%E2%80%9D+Jenna+Bennett%2C+seventh+grade+theater+major%2C+said.+

Guest

Jr. ITS students attends “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief’’, performed by a middle school theater group. “I didn’t think I was going to like the plot because I’m not a Percy Jackson fan, but the cast was talented,” Jenna Bennett, seventh grade theater major, said.

The Junior International Thespians Society ( Jr ITS) traveled to Orlando, FL and competed with other schools from around the state.
“They were so excited to not just
perform, but to watch other schools
perform. That shows a strong dedication to growing as artists,” Leanna Oliveira, theater teacher said.
Going to states was not just about competing against others, but it was about making memories with friends.
“Getting to see everyone [perform and] watching them get awards for it, [was an amazing experience],” Will Moss, seventh grade theater major said.
Along with the competitions provided at states, there were many different workshops for students to participate in.
“I really nervous for the dance workshop, because there were a lot of dancers there, but they were actually all really supporting,” Emma Massimini, seventh grade theater major said.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, extra precautions were taken to keep all students and faculty safe.
“Half the people weren’t there but it was really the fact that we had to
wear masks. There were thousands of people there, but it would have been
way more [if it wasn’t for COVID-19],” Jenna Bennett, seventh grade theater major said.
The event lasted for a total of three days. Not only did this trip provide students with many opportunities, but it also gave them a chance to take a short break from school.
“It was really nice to be with friends. Not having to worry about anything, just getting to be there,” Bennett said.
Moss believed that all the performers did amazing and did not expect such a talented group of people.
“All of them were really good, and a lot better than I expected. The technical stuff was great and all the things on the mainstage were good as well,” Moss said.
Allowing students to go on the trip gave them multiple learning opportunities, including the chance to observe and perform.
“It’s given them the opportunity to try new things,” Olivera said. “There were some moments when someone said ‘I’ve never used puppets before so let’s go to the puppetry workshop’ and I think that’s the coolest part about all of it.”