Bullying prevention vital for students

Bullying is a problem that some students face throughout their lives. One in five of students have reported being bullied, with some as young as nine years old, according to statistics from the National Bullying Prevention Center (NBPC).

In the opinion of the Portfolio staff, students should speak up if they or someone they know is being bullied. It is imperative that if a student sees someone being bullied, they say something to a trusted adult or the administration of the school the bullying victim attends.

According to stopbullying.gov, 20 percent of students ages 12-18 had been bullied. Fifty percent of students reported that the bully had more social influence than the victim. This means that the bully was able to use their influence over other students negatively. 

Alberti Center for Bullying Abuse Prevention found that 85 percent of bullying happens publicly. However, most students join in or ignore the situation.     

According to healthline.com, avoiding conflict is a type of behavior that people use to please others and tends to arise from a deep rooted fear of upsetting others. Students may tap into this fear when they see someone being bullied and be afraid to step in.

Students are affected by bullying. Specifically, the victims of the bullies, as well as the friends and family of the victim suffer.

Others have said that bullying is talked about enough. However, NBPC found that 41 percent of students who reported being bullied indicated that they thought bullying would happen again nonetheless.

Bullying is still an issue and needs to be stopped. Use the Bully Box located in the front office to report the bullying incident. This way more students will report more examples of verbal and physical bullying. 

The “My Words, Your Feelings” program also helped raise awareness about being kind to one another. Therefore, more bullying prevention programs could be vital to the solution of this issue.

It is essential that bystanders who witness bullying should become upstanders and step in to assist the victim. The student body should be able to recognize if someone is getting bullied and stand up for what is right.