Internet slang negatively impacts student language

In today’s world, the common use of abbreviations and acronyms had taken a toll on students’ literacy. With social media so dependent on the internet, social media had impacted students’ literacy.

The point of technology was to make things simple; that included words. People became too lazy to even text “thank you” and instead resorted to the common abbreviation “ty”.

Language arts teachers had firsthand witnessed this problem. For example, students used the lowercase pronoun “i” in essays and other phrases that were grammatical errors in a language arts class, but were quite common to see on social media.

If people continued to use slang so frequently, it could affect one’s ability to perform well in certain situations such as interviews and critical assignments, such as standardized testing and applications.

Unconsciously, students used internet slang in conversations or assignments, and it would harm them in the long run.

Students also have incorporated internet slang into their diction and everyday conversations.

Some tried to defend themselves by saying how it was acceptable to use internet slang in informal or unimportant situations. I had seen my peers use abbreviations in their short responses or bell ringer questions, saying that these were not critical assignments.

The truth is: it was not okay. Just because it was a small assignment, or was not a grade did not mean that using internet slang in a school assignment was correct.

It was important or informal work, internet slang and improper grammar reflected on the students.

Over time, the use of internet slang affected students’ use of proper grammar and diction could affect their literacy as a whole. Leave the texting to texting but school work should always have proper grammar.