Bak nominates three teachers for Dwyer Awards

Teaching+her+class%2C+social+studies+teacher%2C+Michelle+DeSilva%2C+incorporates+a+variety+of+learning+styles+to+engage+her+students.+%E2%80%9COffering+different+activities+makes+sure+that+each+child+has+a+chance+to+learn+in+their+own+unique+way%2C%E2%80%9D+DeSilva+said.+

Maja Milovanovic

Teaching her class, social studies teacher, Michelle DeSilva, incorporates a variety of learning styles to engage her students. “Offering different activities makes sure that each child has a chance to learn in their own unique way,” DeSilva said.

The William T. Dwyer Awards was a prestigious honor given to remarkable educators in Palm Beach County. Three teachers from Bak were nominated for this award.

“The Dwyer Award has been around for 38 years. It recognizes everything that teachers do,” Ashley Jones, language arts teacher said.

There were seven different categories for the award; Grow Up Great: Early Learning Education, Elementary Education, Middle School Education, Senior High Education, Student Advancement & Career Education, Special Programs, and STEM.

“I was nominated for the Student Advancement & Career Education award,” Shakendra Moorer, communications teacher said.

The nominations were released in late December last year.

“I’m grateful my colleagues that helped me to meet the requirements needed,” Jones said.

The award honored educators’ dedication to helping kids learn. Social studies teacher, Michelle DeSilva, offered a variety of learning opportunities.

“I like teaching in all types of different styles. We’ll read, sing, dance, and do skits,” DeSilva said.

The Dwyer Awards commemorated teachers that go above and beyond. Jones said, “I just love that everyday is something different.”