New Supreme Court Justice inspires Bak students

Judge+Ketanji+Brown+Jackson+testifies+on+the+third+day+of+her+Senate+nomination+hearings+to+be+an+Associate+Justice+of+the+Supreme+Court+of+the+United+States+on+Capitol+Hill+in+Washington+D.C.%2C+on+Wednesday%2C+March+23%2C+2022.+%28Yuri+Gripas%2FAbaca+Press%2FTNS%29+

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson testifies on the third day of her Senate nomination hearings to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C., on Wednesday, March 23, 2022. (Yuri Gripas/Abaca Press/TNS)

Ketanji Brown Jackson became the first African American woman Supreme Court Justice on Feb. 25.
Jackson was an inspiration for many students. These students were inspired by her confidence and self-drive to achieve her goals.
“I think this a great example of how doing what you want and putting your mind to [something] can bring you to where you want to be,” Dell Carlah Joseph, seventh grade theater major, said.
For members of the Speech and Debate Club, Jackson’s nomination motivated them as lawyers and
judges.
“She inspires me as a woman because I want to do great things when I am older,” Ariella Dipinto, seventh grade theater major, said.
As women, Dipinto, Joseph, and Butler were all impacted by Jackson’s appointment to the Supreme Court. Although there had not been many women in high political positions, they believed that Jackson could have led the way to more women in office.
“Ketanji Brown inspires me because she shows women around the country that you can be whatever you want to be with hard work and determination,” Sydney Butler, eighth grade vocal major, said.
Dipinto shared similar opinions to Butler in that women and African Americans alike can achieve anything.
“[I think] there will be more different races in the Supreme Court [and other government positions]. She can be the start of a new movement,” Dipinto said.
Some students at Bak believed Jackson could make a difference, and, in turn, the students themselves could make a difference too.
Butler said, “She is an inspiration. As the first African American woman in the Supreme Court, she will bring a new perspective. It shows students like me here at Bak that with hard work and determination, we can do anything.”