Elective class focuses on mythology

Taking+notes%2C+Marton+Papp+writes+down+details+about+the+Norse+civilization.+%E2%80%9CWe+copy+down+information+about+each+topic%2C+while+Mrs.+Barefoot+informs+us+about+other+facts%2C%E2%80%9D+Papp+said.+

Gabby Cohen

Taking notes, Marton Papp writes down details about the Norse civilization. “We copy down information about each topic, while Mrs. Barefoot informs us about other facts,” Papp said.

The semester-long world mythology class, led by Dyan Barefoot,
taught students about various ancient cultures, while they participated in hands-on activities.

“We‘ve covered Greek mythology, Roman mythology, and we’re almost done with Norse mythology. We watch movies or read through the reader’s theaters, which are plays we reenact and perform in front of the class,” Kaibella Edema, seventh grade visual arts major said.

In each culture they covered, there were different forms of symbolism and multiple themes per myth.

“Norse mythology shows a lot of action while, but at the same time, it is extremely brutal. It has some good moral values incorporated into the stories, rather than the Greeks, which are typically about reproduction,” Senate Pignato, seventh grade band major said.

The class also learned about several different interpretations of famous movies, and how they vary to the true story.

“In some classes we will watch videos and movies that have to do with the topic we recently learned about. We actually watched the movie Hercules, and compared it to the real story,” Edema said.

They covered a large range of topics, and learned all about the history of mythology itself.

“A large factor of why I enjoy this class is because we cover so much information about mythology. We learn about how it originated, how it became what it was today, and even more,” Marton Papp, seventh grade communications major said.

Some students in the world mythology class found it amusing to learn about past civilizations and how they were different from the present day society.

“While you still learn a lot, it is interesting to experience and learn about different religions from the past,” Edema said.

While this class only included seventh grade students, some would say they learned essential information for the future.

Pignato said, “Learning about other religions is important because we should educate ourselves about other cultures.”