Students, teachers give opinions on FSA

Ashwin Kishor

Studying for the language arts FSA for the final time, Milo Stamp, eighth grade communications major, taps into his expansive vocabulary to find the best answer to a high level comprehension question. “I’m happy this is the last time [I’m taking it]. It’s such a repetitive test,” Stamp said.

The Florida legislature had finally approved Governor Ron DeSantis’s bill to end common core testing. In simpler words, the Florida Standardized Assessment, a test students had taken for the last eight years, had ended. Students and teachers shared differing opinions on its removal.
“The FSA is genuinely a waste of time. You really want to cram all that information into one test at the end of the year? It’s just a memory test at that point. I haven’t learned a single thing taking it,” Zijia Mo, eighth grade communications major said.
The failure of the FSA stemmed from the fact that people thought it was too time-consuming.
“It takes too much of our [teachers] time because we have to do all these practice tests,” Miller said. “It takes too much of your parents› time because they have to wait three months to get results.”
However, some students believed that Florida should still keep the test.
“It›s a great tool for getting into good high schools. It’s forgiving to those who have bad grades,” Christopher Linson, eighth grade piano major said.
Regardless, the FSA will be replaced with a new test known as Florida’s Assessment of Student Thinking (F.A.S.T). This test will utilize progress monitoring instead of standardized testing. It will be quicker to implement and give teachers insight on what area students were lacking.
According to the Florida Department of Education, the F.A.S.T had around 75 percent less testing time than the FSA. Instead of one large test at the end of the year, there will be three small tests periodically to measure student growth.
“When you eliminate or reduce testing, guess what happens? That’s more teaching and more teaching means you’re giving those kids a better education,” Richard Corcoran, commissioner for the Florida Department of Education said according to First Coast News.
As students return for the 2023 school year, more details will come out on the future for Florida testing.
Miller said, “We have no details on this new test right now. Over the summer, we’ll probably get more information on how we’ll implement it. For now, all we can do is wait.”