Lights, camera, action: TV magazine returns to Bak

Preparing for one of MSOA Replay’s premiere shows, Jamie Bohanek, eighth grade communications major, positions the camera for the upcoming segment. “My favorite part of this class is getting to learn about all the interesting things that we are covering. I get to grow more as a communications student,” Bohanek said. Photo by Gabby Cohen

MSOA Replay is a “new” course for communications students that offers a different take on delivering stories.

The class produces a show, but it’s different from Bak MSOA Today, which is a daily, seven-minute live broadcast that informs students and staff about recent school announcements.

The MSOA Replay course was offered at Bak in previous years, however, it was removed due to COVID-19.

“This class has been enjoyable for me because I get to explore various topics and integrate other ideas since it is more feature based,” Jamie Bohanek, eighth grade communications major, said.

“There was a lot of demand for it to come back,” Shannon Owens, communications teacher said. “Many students had taken interest in news broadcasting, so, in order to give more opportunities to the kids, we brought this class back.”

Since MSOA Replay was a returning edition to the class selections this year, numerous students were interested in what exactly it entailed.

“I thought it was a more intriguing way to express news,” Khalil Hendell, eighth grade communications major, said. “I’m able to do what I prefer in my art area more than if I were on the daily show.”

The crew was split into two groups, each one with their own way of running productions.

“There’s team blue and team silver,” Colin Frost, eighth grade communications major said. “They each come up with their features, stories and more to be in their shows.”

The return of this class offers everyone at Bak another reliable news source. It also provides a chance for more students to catch a glimpse into the reality of the broadcast TV world.

“It’s fun to work with your friends and create a show,” Frost said, “When you get to create something that is important to the school, it’s truly rewarding.”