Fredrickson prepares for ‘Drop Dead’

Eric Fredrickson preps his students, Sofia Carbone, Meya Cooper and Hannah Ledger for their upcoming performance. Using hands-on techniques that keep the students engaged and involved. “I am also really putting into practice the things they might have learned in the previous class with objectives and tactics,” Eric Fredrickson, Theater teacher said. Photo by Shrenik Keshava

Balanced with romance, swashbuckling action and a surplus of drama, “Romeo and Juliet,” created by William Shakespeare, is considered a true, theatrical classic by many. Eric Fredrickson, theater teacher, actively worked to prepare his students for this performance.

“I think it’s the one that people know the most and are the most familiar with,” Fredrickson  said. “Even if you haven’t read the story, you at least know them as Romeo and Juliet, star-crossed lovers.”

However, times have changed, and in this different iteration of “Romeo and Juliet,” written by Allison Williams, it will not only feature new scripts and designs, but also an altered storyline with more modern and inclusive ideas. Fredrickson hopes to illustrate these modern ideas to his students while also teaching them the “wonderfully complex” world of Shakespeare.

“The play features a diverse cast of characters who are all unique in and of themselves, ” Fredrickson said. “I like to tell my students that at this age, if Shakespeare becomes easy, everything else will.”

Everyday, Fredrickson guides his students through multiple exercises. Whether vocal, physical or mental, his students have appreciated and utilized them in more ways to count. 

“The warmups often help me stay focused and attentive to the class,” Chase Bauer, 7th grade theater major said.

Fredrickson’s class works to bring back the magical and legendary storytelling of “Romeo and Juliet” with  a modern spin. Using techniques that use mental strength and fitness, as well as physical grace and elegance, the class hoped to deliver a worthwhile show.

“We often go back to review scenes we’ve performed and see what exactly we can add or work on to truly rope in the audience,” Bauer said. “We really want to give them the best experience they can have.”

The techniques and warmups are not the only things that helped  the students prepare, as many see Fredrickson as one of their contributors to success.

“He [Fredrickson] is always there to help us and really adds a lot to the class,” Jade Keskinen, seventh grade theater major said. “His teaching style and level of engagement is really helpful and keeps me enjoying the class.”

“Drop Dead Juliet” took place Dec. 7  at the mainstage theater, at 6:30 p.m. As the time ticked down to December, many students still needed time to perfect their performance and hone their abilities.