A deep dive into the assistant principals

The APs collaborate while juggling multiple responsibilities and unpredictable days
Daniel Stechschulte, Crystal Clark, and Misty Connelly work together during Lunch A to solve issues and supervise lunch. “A big part of our job is collaboration. I work together with Ms. Connelly and Ms. Clark to solve most of the issues on campus,” Stechschulte said.
Raeesa Uddin

The bell rings, and students bustle through the hallways to get to their next class. Little do they know that just a few feet over, three assistant principals are answering anywhere from 50 to 200 school-related emails on their behalf. These three assistant principals, or commonly known as APs, are Misty Connelly, Daniel Stechschulte and Crystal Clark.

Students know Connelly as an AP, but they may not know the extent of what she does for the school. Aside from discipline, she is also responsible for evaluating the grades of students with last names A-F, supervising teachers, helping students on probation, looking over clubs and managing technology.

A big part of Connelly’s job is working with students to resolve conflicts and help when she can.

“I feel connected to these kids and my favorite part is helping kids grow,” Connelly said.

While subbing for an AP position, she realized that being an assistant principal is not only about discipline. Their roles encompass responsibilities that students often don’t get to see. She believed that Bak was a perfect fit for her, combining an interest in leading as an AP and the ability to connect to the arts.

“I feel like I fit in here like a puzzle piece. I have a connection to all of the arts at Bak; I love to sing, draw and dance. I taught speech and debate and directed musical theater,” Connelly said.

Daniel Stechschulte is another AP with an assortment of duties. He oversees athletics, works with students with last names G-O, looks over applications for sports and manages repairs and landscaping around campus. Stechschulte became an assistant principal because he thought it suited his personality.
“As opposed to being a teacher, as an assistant principal, I could help a larger amount of students that need additional support for whatever reason,” Stechschulte said.

He discovered Bak because of its unique reputation and its immersive atmosphere.

“The culture here originally intrigued me. I’ve never really immersed myself into the arts, and I guess that opportunity is what drew me to Bak,” Stechschulte said.

Crystal Clark is the AP who manages students with last names P-Z, assists with defining the curriculum, works with English language learner (ELL) and 504 plan students, provides teacher development and works with Principal Sally Rozanski for all the safety procedures at Bak. Clark also ensures that students know the emergency procedures for fire drills and code drills.

“It includes safety, and the number one thing for schools [is] to provide a safe atmosphere. I strive to maintain that here at Bak,“ Clark said.

She feels her transition into an AP position was only natural.

“That teacher instinct, that teacher drive was natural. Then I had a principal who noticed me and noticed what I was doing without having the proper training on it. I was encouraged to continue in education and continue with leadership from there,” Clark said. “That’s how I became an assistant principal. I love it. I love every moment of it.”