Student athletes face pressure in school and sports

As many may know, students take part in many extracurricular activities, one of the main ones being sports. While trying to balance academics and athletics, many people underestimate the pressure students face.

These continuous challenges that athletes face may take negative tolls on mental health, and much more.

According to news.usc.edu, a survey in 2015 found 30% of participating student athletes reported feeling seriously overwhelmed during the past month. A third struggled to find energy for other tasks because of the physical and psychological demands of their sport and nearly 25% felt mentally exhausted.

Another draining factor that many student athletes face is the struggle to maintain a good academic performance.

According to “Effects of Student Athletics on Academic Performance”, a journal written by South Dakota State University, scientists at Clemson University found that academically, athletes do three-tenths of a grade point worse than other students in three out of 10 classes.

While some may argue that sports should benefit mental health by allowing a student to stay healthy, one can prove otherwise by explaining that even if a student gains a few advantages, there are many drawbacks that suppress the benefits.

According to ablison.com, by competing, you are always expecting to win no matter the situation. With the desire of winning also comes the hard truth of pressure and losing. Parents, coaches and even the athletes themselves can create pressure that may be so overwhelming that the person loses self-confidence.

There are a few possible solutions to this problem. Whether it is taking a mental health day once in a while to stay healthy, or creating a schedule that works for you, there are several ways to balance both.

According to mindtools.com, scheduling is the art of planning your activities so that you can achieve your goals and priorities in the time you have available. When done effectively, it helps you understand what you can achieve with your time, making sure you have enough time for essential tasks and more.