Elimination of rumors improves school community

Sometimes, students peer pressure others into spreading lies. According to verywellfamily.com, if everyone else in their circle of friends is gossiping or spreading rumors, kids feel like they have to do the same thing in order to be accepted. Photo by Liliana Kirby

Imagine you thought you made a harmless comment about how your friend dressed. Someone heard it and decided to spread it around the school. Now, that small joke had erupted into a horrible rumor. I believe that if the circulation of rumors decreased, then student relationships and school communities would be stronger overall.

Most people would agree they do not like lies spread about them. Although some might say that rumors are harmless, the victims of rumors can experience mental health issues because of them.

According to goodtherapy.com, targets of gossip generally find the experience to be very painful. When one has a rumor spread about them, their self esteem can decrease. This impact might, in some cases, contribute to the development of depression. Others may think that they need to change themselves because of the rumor, which leads to anxiety in some cases.If rumors in schools decreased, students would be mentally healthier, improving their overall well-being.

Rumors not only affect students’ mental health, but influence their academic skills, as well.

According to wordeffect.com those who are verbally or psychologically targeted by classmates may start attempting to avoid their classrooms or schools altogether. These actions, taken to spare themselves the pain of dealing with gossip and exclusion, ultimately affect their academics and future success.

Also, rumors are an invasion of trust and respect, which can ruin friendships between students.

According to Forbes, rumors develop when employees verbally express their fears and anxieties to others and are motivated by aggression, or even hatred, which can divide groups and destroy loyalties.

One way to overcome rumors in schools is to be mindful of what we say about others and focus on what is true.
We have all heard the acronym, THINK before you speak, meaning asking yourself if what you are going to say is true, helpful, inspiring, necessary or kind. It may be overused, but it is a good way to catch and stop yourself from spreading lies about others.

If a rumor is being spread about you, a solution to stop it would be to go to a trusted adult who can end the rumor.

According to hopkinsallchildrens.org, students can talk to someone they can confide in, like a parent, teacher, school counselor or coach. Keep them up to date on what’s going on, even as things start to get better. A trusted adult can help students feel more supported and less alone and even take steps to put a stop to rumors and gossip.

Rumors are harmful to students’ health, academic skills and relationships, but can be resolved if students work together for the betterment of their school community.