Students share their predictions for future of school

In 1922, English writer W.L. George wrote an article about his predictions for 2022. “There is a good old rule which bids us never prophesy unless we know, but, all the same, when one cannot prophesy one may guess, especially if one is sure of being out of the way when the reckoning comes,” George said. “Therefore it is without anxiety, that I suggest a picture of this world a hundred years hence, and venture as my first guess that the world at that time would be remarkable.” Photo from the Library of Congress

If time machines were created tomorrow and had the ability to take someone away to explore the wonders of a universe 10 years from now, what would they see?  In 10 years, many things can change.  Lives, homes, relationships and ways of life can be completely altered.  Many have predictions for what the world will be like for middle schoolers living in the year 2033.  

Bak MSOA may be different from how it is now.  

“I think that the school will be bigger.  I think that there will be a lot more buildings and classrooms because the population going to this school will be bigger,” Kate Sheldon, sixth grade communications major said.  

The way things are at school may become unnecessary and will fall into history, due to added technology.  Others will be transformed to fit the unique needs of the future.

“I think that there will be more computers.  Even now, paper is used less and less in classrooms, so in 10 years it will be completely eradicated.  I think that the library will not be necessary with the technology we have and will become a larger computer lab,”  Lyra Radashkevich, eighth grade communications major said.  

Changes to art areas may occur as well, influencing the way Bak runs and educates students. Kara Schultz, eighth grade visual major predicts visual arts will split into two departments – similar to how Dreyfoos School of the Arts operates.

“Dreyfoos used to be like how we are now but then became what it is today.  I also think that more music majors will be added to include more instruments like guitar.  It would be really cool if a culinary art program was added too,” Schultz said.  

With the Earth’s environment changing everyday, nature could experience differences as well. 

“I hope that the environment will be very clean.  It is important to take care of the environment so that the earth doesn’t die,” Sophia Roman, seventh grade visual arts major said.  

Some are speculating unexpected benefits to technological advances.

“Trees will make a comeback.  With paper becoming something of the past and with the rise of note apps and iPads, trees will not need to be cut down as much.  We will use i-Pads in schools to handwrite things that will be preserved forever,” Grace Daversa, eighth grade communications major said.   “This system will be so much more convenient because textbooks will not have to be taken to school and instead of binders with a bunch of papers, we will just have an iPad.”

School communities and friendships may be affected in one year’s time resulting from an increased use of technology. 

“I think that making friends will be very different.  People will be on their phones and computers too much to make friends in person,”  Kylie Cohill, eighth grade communications major said.  

Trends in fashion and lifestyle change rapidly, even now.  This quick pace of changing fads could continue or change.

“I think that fast fashion will increase so much to a point that trends as a whole will just devolve and become non-existent.  Then in a few years the cycle will start all over again with 2000’s trends,” Daversa said.  

Even though the world moves quickly into the future, students hope some  things will always be the same.

“This will always be a really good school.  It has always been a really good school,” Sheldon said.  “Students will continue to pursue their art area.  The school environment will always be very welcoming.”